Principle Investigator, Professor, Electrical Engineering, Sept. 2018 - present.
Undergraduate: Moscow State University, Russia Physics MS, 1991
Graduate: Stony Brook University, USA Physics PhD, 2001
Postdoctoral: Brookhaven National Lab, USA Physics Postdoctoral Fellow, 2003
Postdoctoral: IBM Watson Res. Center, USA Nanotechnology Postdoctoral Fellow, 2005
2018 - present Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
2019 - 2022 Visiting Professor, ITMO University, Saint Petersburg
2014 - 2018 Associate Professor, Skoltech, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Moscow
2005 - 2014 Research Staff Member, IBM TJ Watson Research Center, Nanoscale science and technology group, Yorktown Heights, NY
External Sponsored Research Grants
- MURI: Comprehensive Minimally/non-invasive Multifaceted Assessment of Nano-/microelectronic Devices (CoMMAND): US Air Force Office of Scientific Research; senior investigator, 05/01/2022 – 04/30/2027; $7,500,000.
- PIRE: JUNCTION Japan-US Network for Clean Energy Technologies Involving Oriented Nanotubes; National Science Foundation; co-PI; 09/01/2022 – 08/31/2025; $1,499,900.
- Track 1 ‐ Quantum Leap Challenge Institute: solid‐state materials for entanglement generation; SUNY Research Seed Grant Program; co-PI; 04/01/2021 – 12/31/2022; $50,000.
- Theoretical exploration of low dimensional materials for on-demand single photon sources; VPRED at the University at Buffalo; PI; 06/01/2020 – 12/31/2021; $21,000.
- QLCI-CG: Design of Novel Functional Materials for Quantum Devices; National Science Foundation; PI; 09/01/2019 – 08/31/2021; $149,713
- The results of my research have been published in more than 100 peer-reviewed publications that have been cited more than 16500 times in the literature (h-index: 53, statistics from Google Scholar).
- The results of my research have been presented in some 30 invited talks at international conferences and workshops.
- Top 2% in the Stanford University ranking of the world's nearly 7 million working scientists in the fields of Applied Physics, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Physics and Astronomy
- Three times the highly competitive “IBM Research Technical Accomplishment" award in 2005, 2006, and 2008 for “achievements that are significant scientific or base technology accomplishments or have demonstrated significant impact on IBM's business."
- Best paper award by the IBM Materials Research Council in 2012
- APS Fellow since 2013.
- Contributed to the broader dissemination of scientific knowledge through the authorship of a book chapter, “Carbon Nanotube Optoelectronics in Carbon Nanotubes. Advanced Topics in the Synthesis, Structure, Properties, and Applications, edited by A. Jorio, M. Dresselhaus, and G. Dresselhaus Vol. 111 pp. 423-454 Springer (2008) and two review articles Nature Photonics 2, 341-350 (2008) and Nature Nano 2, 605-615 (2007) both cited about 4100 times.
- Served on the organizing committees of a number of national and international conferences. Most recently served on the technical program committee of CLEO 2021 “Two-dimensional Materials”.
- Peer reviewer for various journals, panelist, and reviewer for various funding agencies, such as NSF.
- Buffalo Section Chapter Chair, IEEE Electron Device Society.